ELL Resource Guide for Springfield School District 186
Purpose: The purpose of this guide is to inform school office staff, secretaries, principals, teachers, and specialist of procedures and expectations for ELL students and families.
Introduction: An ELL student is any student whose family speaks a language other than English in the home or who speaks a language other than English and is determined to be limited English proficient based on results found using the WAPT Screener.
Page 1: Registration Procedures:
1. All students who register in Springfield Public Schools are required to complete at Home Language Survey at the time of registration. If the parent or guardian is a non-English speaker, the Home Language Survey must be provided in the native language of that person.
2. All Home Language Surveys that indicate that a potential student speaks a language other than English OR that a language other than English is spoken in the home should be sent immediately to Diane Hess, ELL coordinator, at Student Support Services immediately.
Page 2: ELL Identification and Scheduling:
1. The ELL teacher will assess the student within a two week period to identify the student as LEP. If the student scores below a 5.0 on the WAPT Screener, he or she qualifies for services.
A summary of the findings of this assessment will be sent home to parent or guardian in the native language and will be filed in the student’s cum folder.
2. The ELL teacher will determine amount of services based on student need.
If a student qualifies for services, a consent to provide services will be given to the parent or guardian and filed in the student’s cum folder.
3. The ELL teacher will create a schedule for the student. The teacher will make every attempt not to pull the student out of common core content, but it is not always possible. Classroom teachers need to remember that ELL students are dispersed throughout the district, and that ELL teachers are not always able to work around classroom teacher schedules and requests.
Page 3: Assessment:
1. All ELL students are required to take the WAPT screener upon entering Springfield Public Schools.
2. All ELL students are required to take the ACCESS test annually.
3. All ELL students are required to take the PARCC, (high school tests) dependent upon grade level.
All ELL students are eligible for ELL accommodations for these tests as identified by the ISBE.