Malcolm X College in Chicago, Illinois hosted the The Black Star Project Parent Forum event. The day included breakout sessions and a keynote address from the Assistant Secretary for Communications and Outreach for the Department of Education, Peter Cunningham.
Mr. Cunningham stated, "When parents are united, empowered and direct they get what they need." He gave some alarming statistics on our national graduation rate. 25% of our children do not graduate on time and only 50% of our children graduate from college. The purpose in his office is to:
* Reform standards and support education at the local, state and federal level (which includes raising standards to ensure our children are prepared for college)
* Strengthen teachers
* Increase the graduation rate from 4 of 10 Americans, to 6 out of 10 Americans graduating with a college degree by the end of the decade (2020)
The breakout sessions included:
* F.B.I. Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program Overview
* Title I, Part A: Roles and Responsibilities, * Meeting the Achievement Goal * Office of Civil Rights 101: How to protect yourself and others from civil rights violations.
* Illinois Parent Information Resource Center (IL PIRC)
* Family Resource Center on Disabilities (FRCD): Basic Rights in Special Education