District 186 is seeking community input on its school buildings in the first step of a new facilities master planning process. Springfield residents living within District 186 boundaries will have three opportunities to share their thoughts on the current state of the District and help create a vision for the future of its learning spaces at upcoming community engagement sessions.
All residents are invited to attend one of the following State of the District community engagement sessions:
- Wednesday, Feb. 15, 6 PM at Springfield High School
- Wednesday, Feb. 22, 6 PM at Lanphier High School
- Thursday, Feb. 23, 6 PM at Southeast High School
Facilities master planning is the process by which the District will create a comprehensive, collaborative, long-range vision to improve its school buildings and to address the changing demands of 21st century learning. It is a process that was suggested by the Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce task force that analyzed the results of a business perception survey about District 186. The process will assess the physical structures and learning spaces, and create a shared vision with the community of a preferred future for District 186. The community engagement sessions will allow for input from all reaches of the city. This process will help District 186 prioritize needs, capitalize on opportunities, and decide how to thoughtfully bring the community’s ideal to life.
After these initial sessions, there will be additional community engagement sessions intended for deeper conversations on specific facilities topics. Residents are encourage to attend any and/or all of the following:
- Wednesday, March 15: 21st Century Programs and Facilities: Learn What is Possible, 6 PM Lanphier High School
- Tuesday, March 28: Planning Principles that Will Take Us to Our Preferred Future, 6 PM, Southeast High School
- Wednesday, April 26: Educational Standards for Our Preferred Future, 6 PM, Springfield High School
- Wednesday, May 10: Prioritizing Our Next Steps in District 186, 6 PM, location to be determined
- Monday, May 22: Final Vision Document Culminating the Community Work, 6 PM, location to be determined
Child care will be offered at all sessions. More information about the community engagement sessions and the facilities master planning process will be available at www.sps186.org/ourschoolsourfuture.