Extended Math Response Practice
Iles School joins 44 other schools in Illinois that have earned the Illinois State Board Academic Excellence Award annually since its inception six years ago. 3,910 schools in Illinois administered the 2009 state tests. Of the schools that received the award for this year, 72% enroll fewer than 15% low-income students. The enrollment of low-income students at Iles School is 30%. 26% of the Academic Excellence Award winning schools this year are downstate schools.
Iles School received the following letter from the Illinois State Board of Education:
Susan Rhodes, Principal
Iles Elem School
Springfield SD 186
1700 S 15th St
Springfield, IL 62703
Re: Academic Excellence Award – 2009 Illinois Honor Roll
Congratulations! Your school ahs earned an Academic Excellence Award! The Illinois state Board of Education commends you and your faculty on all the good work required to sustain academic excellence in your school.
Across the state, 438 schools earned the Academic Excellence Award for 2009. Many of these schools receive national recognition for their long-time exemplary performance.
To earn an Academic Excellence Award, a school must meet the following criteria:
• In PK-8 Schools, 90 percent of students must have met or exceeded state standards in both reading and mathematics for at least three consecutive years;
• In high schools, 80 percent of students must have met or exceeded state standards in both reading and mathematics for at least three consecutive years; and
• Schools must have made Adequate Yearly Progress in 2008 and 2009, which includes:
* at least 70 percent meeting and exceeding standards in both reading and mathematics;
* 95 percent participation rate in state assessments for all students in each subgroup;
* attendance rate of at least 90 percent for elementary and middle schools and a graduation rate of at least 78 percent for high schools.
Enclosed you will find a certificate commemorating this award. At http://www.ilhonorroll.niu.edu you can learn more about the Illinois Honor Roll, which includes three categories of awards – Spotlight Schools, Academic Improvement and Academic Excellence. At this website, you will find a page devoted to your school and a customized logo for your use. Also, you will find the criteria for the awards and a full list of award winners.
We encourage you to celebrate your success and share your good news with students, parents and all community partners. Again, I extend my congratulations and very best wishes for continuing success.
Christopher A. Koch, Ed.D.
State Superintendent of Education
cc: Dr. Walter Milton Jr., Superintendent
Springfield SD 186
Quality Education for a Better World
The International BaccalaureateŽ (IB) offers high quality programmes of international education to a worldwide community of schools. There are more than 796,000 IB students at 2,883 schools in 138 countries.