Suggested Food Choices for School Celebrations
Healthful Food and Beverage Options for School Functions*
At school functions (parties, celebrations, snack time, meetings, etc.) healthful food options should be made available to promote student, staff and community wellness. Examples of nutritious food and beverages that are suggested to be served are listed below.
• Raw vegetable sticks/slices with low-fat dressing or yogurt dip
• Fresh fruit wedges - cantaloupe, honey dew, watermelon, pineapple, oranges, tangelos, etc.
• Sliced fruit - nectarines, peaches, kiwi, star fruit, plums, pears, mangos, apples, etc.
• Fruit salad
• Cereal and low-fat milk
• 100% fruit or vegetable juice
• Frozen fruit pops with fruit juice or fruit as the first ingredient
• Dried fruits - raisins, cranberries, apples, apricots
• Single serving applesauce or canned fruit in juice
• Peanut butter with apple wedges or celery sticks
• Fruit smoothies made with fat-free or low-fat milk
• Trail mix (dried fruits and nuts)
• Dry roasted peanuts, tree nuts and soy nuts (not coconut or palm nuts)
• Lean meats and reduced fat cheese sandwiches (use light or reduced fat mayonnaise in chicken/tuna salads)
• Party mix (variety of cereals, nuts, pretzels, etc.)
• Pretzels or reduced fat crackers
• Popcorn (popped in non transfat oil or air popped)
• Baked chips with salsa or low-fat dip (Ranch, onion, bean, etc.)
• Low-fat muffins (small or mini), granola bars and cookies (graham crackers, fig bars)
• Mini bagels with whipped light or fat-free cream cheese
• Pasta salad
• Bread sticks with marinara
• Fat-free or low-fat flavored yogurt & fruit parfaits
• Fat-free or low-fat pudding cups
• Fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products (string cheese, single-serving cottage cheese, cheese cubes)
• Flavored soy milk fortified with calcium
• Pure ice cold water
*This list is not all inclusive and is meant only to provide parents and school staff with guidance for healthier food and beverage choices.