JMS 2017-2018 DRESS CODE POLICY
The following shirt styles and colors are allowed:
- Solid color (all colors are now allowed) polo style with short or long sleeve.
- Solid color button-front dress shirt or blouse with a collar.
- All emblems must adhere to District 186 guidelines.
- Any official JMS spirit wear shirt (hoodies of any kind are excluded).
- Long sleeve undershirts must be a solid color. Undershirts (such as tank tops) of solid color may be worn as long as they are in compliance with District 186 guidelines.
- Pants, slacks, and shorts must be made of twill type material and must be tan, khaki, black, or navy blue. (NO Brown, Gray or White bottoms)
- No jeans, denim, jeggings, leggings, yoga pants, sweat pants, any other stretch-type material or other style of pants are allowed.
- Pants should fit and be worn at the waist.
- Pants may not have frayed bottoms, false rips, patches, or tears/holes.
- Baggy and sagging pants are not permitted.
- Shorts length may be no more than 6” above the crease at the back of the knee.
- If pants/shorts have belt loops, an appropriate belt should be worn.
Girls may wear skirts made of twill type material and must be tan, khaki, black, or navy blue. NO denim jean or stretch-like material will be permitted. Skirts/Skorts may be straight or pleated. Skirt/Skorts must be knee or full length. If the skirt has belt loops, an appropriate belt must be worn. Tights, pantyhose may be worn under skirts/skorts, but NO leggings or jeggings.
If pants, shorts, or skirts are sagging or baggy, a belt should be worn at all times. Belt buckles must be a simple, non-electrical design, such as a square, circle, or “U” shape. Sagging will be determined at the discretion of administration.
All shoes worn must match. All shoelaces are to be tied. No house shoes/slippers of any kind.
Sweaters/sweatshirts must be a solid color. Buttons are allowed on sweaters (no hoods). The sweater/sweatshirt may only be round or v-neck, and made of sweater or sweatshirt material. No sportswear material, and all approval is at the discretion of administration.
Jackets/hoodies may be worn to and from school. Jackets/hoodies must be placed in lockers on arrival. No jackets/hoodies will be permitted in the classroom.
Any accessories including hats, scarves, bandanas, symbols, jewelry, or other paraphernalia that depicts or refers to alcoholic beverages, smoking, violence, drugs, death, gangs, racism, profanity, nudity or obscene slogans are not allowed. Students must adhere to JMS enhanced dress code and Springfield School District 186 guidelines. This includes information regarding piercings, dress and grooming, tattoos, and other dress code criteria essential for a safe and productive educational learning environment.
Backpacks, drawstring book bags, and purses that are brought to school must be left in the lockers and secured.
Students are reminded that they need to be in “full uniform” from the time they arrive on campus until the time they leave campus. The enhanced Jefferson Middle School uniform guidelines will be enforced and the dress code policy as described in the Student and Family Handbook. Students will remain in uniform for fall and spring school pictures and on the last day of the school year unless otherwise stated by the principal. Parents will be notified on the website and parent link of approved non-uniform days.
All students are expected to change for PE. White T-Shirts and dark colored shorts are the standard PE uniform. Sweatpants may also be worn but without wording across the buttocks.