Friday, April 19, 2013
This week's Focused Instructional Practice strategy is: Vocabulary ~ Using Words in Context
• Attendance of at least 94%
• Good Education
- Good Grades
- Preparing You for Life
• Good Behavior
- Respect Yourself
- Respect Others
- Respect Property
• Do NOT let people into the building! You compromise the safety of the entire school. Anyone doing this will be issued severe consequences!
• Scarves are not a part of your uniform. Therefore, scarves should not be worn even as a belt.
• Students are not allowed in the teachers' lounge at any time for any reason.
• Cell phones are to be turned off and stored in your locker during the school day. If the phone is seen or heard, it will be taken and a parent will have to come to school to retrieve it. At no time should students use their phones to video tape or photograph at school. Consequences will be issued.
Happy birthday to .......
Shylexis W. & Madison L.!
Main Entree: Catfish Tacos; Hot Dogs; Grilled Cheese Sandwiches; Broccoli Soup; Vegetable Soup
Monday's Breakfast: Bagels with Cream Cheese or Jelly
CLUBS & ACTIVITIES
• Library ~ No library today — please do not send down students with books.
• JMS Beta Club ~ Beta Club t-shirt order forms are available in room 113 and 110. Place your order by the end of the day today. T-shirts cost $10 each.
• AVID Field Trip ~ 6th grade AVID students going on the field trip should eat lunch during 7th grade lunch. We will be leaving at 11:30AM.
• Art ~ Congratulations to 6th grader Lexi G. and 7th grader Thomas V. for having their artwork selected for the SIU Art Show. Their artwork will be on display at the SIU Medical Building for the next few weeks. The reception will be held on May 3rd. Great job!
• Field Trip News ~ Very few students have turned in their field trip forms and money. Please get these turned in as soon as possible. If not enough students sign up, the field trips will be canceled.
• Yearbook ~ The JMS yearbook ~ 2012-2013 A Year to Remember ~ is on sale now. There are a limited number left. Order yours today! Return your order form and money to Mrs. Nosa in room 215 or order online.
• LLCC 8th Grade Scholarship ~ Any 8th grade student interested in applying for the Lincoln Land Community College scholarship must meet the following criteria:
~ compose an essay informing the interview committee why you believe you should receive the scholarship, what you have done to ensure you will attend college, and your future plans
~ you must have good attendance
~ if you have struggled with your behavior and/or grades, explain your improvements & tell how you will continue to improve throughout high school
~ 3 teacher recommendations: two must be from two of your current teachers and the third can be from any JMS teacher or staff member; include these names in your essay
Essays and recommendations must be submitted to your 3rd period teacher by the end of the day today. Teachers can email recommendations directly to Mrs. Miller. Interviews will be conducted next week. The recipient of the scholarship will be revealed at Honors' Night.
• Kohl's Gotta Dance! ~ St. John's Children's Hospital & Kohl's Cares are sponsoring FREE dance classes for students in grades 6-10. For more information, go to sjchildrens.org
• LLCC College for Kids ~ LLCC's Youth Services Program and the Athletics Department are excited to offer summer 2013 classes and camps for students who have completed Kindergarten through 8th grade as of Spring 2013. For more information, pick up an informational application packet from the bulletin board in the main lobby.
If you go to a buddy room or in-house on the day of a game, you CANNOT attend the game. This applies to everyone INCLUDING team players!
• Track ~ Here is the track schedule for next week:
Monday - Practice from 3-4PM for JMS & 4-5PM for CCPA
Tuesday - NO practice
Wednesday - Track meet at Pleasant Plains at 3:30PM
Thursday - City Track Meet at Memorial Stadium at 3:30PM
School store is now open daily before 8AM in front of room 114. JMS spirit wear can be purchased in room 109 from Mrs. Taylor.
At JMS I will ....
to show my Jaguar PRIDE!