Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Our Instructional Focus:
At Jefferson Middle School we are...
• And discussing what we learn
NO GUM IS ALLOWED AT SCHOOL!
NO RUBBER BANDS — NO JELLY/PLASTIC BRACELETS!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ....
Kierra S. & Kenya S.!
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1956, Elvis Presley's hit song "Heartbreak Hotel" reached the #1 spot on the Billboard charts.
Main Entree: Mac & Cheese; Tator Tots; Green Beans
Tomorrow's Breakfast: Breakfast Bagels
No A la Carte for 6th grade students due to poor behavior in the cafeteria!
• LHS Cheerleading Tryouts ~ If you are interested in trying out for cheerleading at Lanphier High School, pre-tryout cheer clinics are scheduled for Thursday and Friday, May 6th & 7th, from 5:30-7:30PM at LHS in the main gym. Tryouts will be held Saturday, May 8th at 8:30AM at LHS gym. For more information, please contact Danielle Outlaw at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 622-4055.
• JFL 2010 Football Sign-Up ~ Registration April 24th at Kicks on 6th Street from 11:30AM - 4PM. There is an $85 registration fee. For more information, please contact JFL Hotline at (217) 416-8533, P.O. Box 3116, or visit their website at:
• Springfield Youth Football League ~ Registration for tackle football for kindergarten through 8th grade will take place:
~ Saturday, May 15th from 9AM-1PM at Bank of Springfield Building - 9th & Madison
You must pay the $85 registration fee at time of registration. Checks should be made payable to SYF. Also, bring a copy of the player's birth certificate that the league can keep. Returning players do not have to do this. Please have the player with you for sizing! For more information, contact by email at
email@example.com or check the website at http://www.springfieldyouthfootball.com
• SHS Cheerleading Tryouts ~ If you are interested in trying out for the 2010-2011 SHS cheerleading squads, clinic nights are April 19th and 20th, tryouts on the 21st and callbacks on the 22nd. Tryout packets can be mailed upon request or may be picked up in the main office at SHS. For more info, contact Nora Povse [cheerleading coach] at 525-3100.
HIP HOP DANCE TEAM
There is practice/rehearsal today for the Hip Hop Dance team. Please be on time.
8th grade students ~ Lincoln Land Community College is awarding one Jefferson 8th grade student a tuition waiver for six credit hours. Any JMS student who is interested in applying for the scholarship, must have a parent or guardian come to the Guidance Office to obtain an application. The completed application must be returned to the Guidance Office by April 28th.
SHIRTS ON FRIDAYS
Every Friday until the end of the school year, 8th grade students may wear their 8th grade t-shirts. All other students may wear their JMS jaguar spirit shirts. The shirts cannot be altered in any way — no cutting and tying, no removal of sleeves, no writing added. You will still be expected to wear uniform pants. If you wish to purchase a spirit shirt, see Ms. Stewart in room 202.
ANNUAL TALENT SHOW
Talent Show auditions are today during all 3 lunch shifts. 6th grade tryouts will be held in room 102; 7th & 8th grade tryouts will be held in the library. Bring any music or props that you will need for your act. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Orama in room 102.
SPRING PICTURE DAY
Students may wear their school spirit or 8th grade t-shirt for Spring pictures on Friday. 6th grade students will take pictures after the morning announcements.
Yearbooks are currently on sale for $20. Please order yours today to lock in this introductory price! If you have questions or need more information, please see Ms. J-C in room 115.
• Those students participating in Check In/Check Out need to remember to pick up their CI/CO sheets before school starts. If you forget, please buzz the office and Ms. Rennison will bring one to you. At the end of the day, your teacher will decided when to dismiss you for check out. The earliest you will be dismissed is 2:25PM.
• There will be a special Earth Day Out of the Blue day tomorrow! Lucky students will be excused during 4th block to help clean up the neighborhood. After that they will get some yummy snacks!
Astronomy Day is April 24th! The Sangamon Astronomical Society invites the public to view the sky through their telescopes. Come see the moon, Saturn, Mars, star clusters, double stars, how a telescope works, and the scale of the solar system.
Where: Centennial Park
When: April 24th at 7PM [weather permitting]
Bring the entire family along with your questions! If it is raining or the sky is overcast, the event will be rescheduled. Check the website at http://www.sas-sky.org
Questions? Contact Bruce Patterson at 494-2655.
When: Saturday, April 24th
Where: Southeast High School
Who: Dad, Grandmother, teacher .... anyone involved in the education of children
You are invited to attend a program on internet safety for adults and children presented by Erin Ruebbelke from the Office of the Illinois State Attorney General Lisa Madigan on Wednesday, April 21st from 6-8PM at the Lincoln Public Library. The program is free and open to the public.
Remember our school expectations:
Respect Yourself • Respect Others • Respect Property