Thursday, April 8, 2010
Our Instructional Focus:
At Jefferson Middle School we are...
• And discussing what we learn
NO GUM IS ALLOWED AT SCHOOL!
NO RUBBER BANDS!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ....
William R. & April S.!
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1974, Hammerin' Hank Aaron of the Atlanta Braves hit his 715th home run. Aaron broke the record set by Babe Ruth. Barry Bonds broke Aaron's record in 2007.
Main Entree: Hot Ham & Cheese; Vegetable Soup; Au Gratin Potatoes; Green Beans
8th grade girls will eat first.
Tomorrow's Breakfast: Donuts
• Southeast Pom Tryouts ~ Southeast Spartans Poms tryouts will be held on April 10, 2010 from 1PM to 5PM in the Southeast High School gymnasium.
• Southeast Cheerleading Tryouts ~ Tryout date is April 10th from 9AM-12PM at Southeast High School Gym. Please wear shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes. If you have questions, please contact the Athletic Office at 525-3130.
• JFL 2010 Football Sign-Up ~ Registration April 24th at Kicks on 6th Street from 11:30AM - 4PM. There is an $85 registration fee. For more information, please contact JFL Hotline at (217) 416-8533, P.O. Box 3116, or visit their website at:
• Springfield Youth Football League ~ Registration for tackle football for kindergarten through 8th grade will take place:
~ Saturday, April 17th from 9AM-1PM at Hope Church - 3000 Lenhart Road
~ Saturday, May 15th from 9AM-1PM at Bank of Springfield Building - 9th & Madison
You must pay the $85 registration fee at time of registration. Checks should be made payable to SYF. Also, bring a copy of the player's birth certificate that the league can keep. Returning players do not have to do this. Please have the player with you for sizing! For more information, contact by email at
firstname.lastname@example.org or check the website at http://www.springfieldyouthfootball.com
The spring dance will be held Friday from 2:30-4PM. Admission will be $3. Tickets will be sold during all lunch shifts today and tomorrow. No tickets will be sold at the dance!
HIP HOP DANCE TEAM
No hip hop dance practice today. We will resume practices on Tuesday, April 13th. Please make arrangements to be here ~ we have a lot to accomplish!
SHIRTS ON FRIDAYS
Every Friday from this week until the end of the school year, 8th grade students may wear their 8th grade t-shirts. All other students may wear their JMS jaguar spirit shirts. The shirts cannot be altered in any way — no cutting and tying, no removal of sleeves, no writing added. You will still be expected to wear uniform pants.
If you wish to purchase a spirit shirt, see Ms. Stewart in room 202.
There are many Out of the Blue activities planned for the remainder of the school year. Be sure to get your blue PRIDE cards turned in so you will have a chance to win. One of the upcoming activities is a staff vs students volleyball game. PRIDE cards will be drawn for "Priority Seating" and free pizza!
Astronomy Day is April 24th! The Sangamon Astronomical Society invites the public to view the sky through their telescopes. Come see the moon, Saturn, Mars, star clusters, double stars, how a telescope works, and the scale of the solar system.
Where: Centennial Park
When: April 24th at 7PM [weather permitting]
Bring the entire family along with your questions! If it is raining or the sky is overcast, the event will be rescheduled. Check the website at http://www.sas-sky.org
Questions? Contact Bruce Patterson at 494-2655.
BATTLE OF THE BANDS
Where: SHS Commons
When: Saturday, April 10
• Competition of local rock bands (high school & middle school divisions); $25 entry fee for each band; register at email@example.com
• Guitar Hero competition for the whole family
Cost: $5 per individual at door or $10 per individuals who want to participate in Guitar Hero competition (Age Categories: 5-9, 10-14, and 15 & older)
Anyone interested in learning more about this event should call Donna Davlantis at 217-306-1160 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Information is also available at Rolens Brothers Music, The Rock Shop, and DaddyO's. Prizes awarded in ALL categories. Concessions will be sold at the event. All proceeds will go to SHS GAPP (German American Partnership Program).
Remember our school expectations:
Respect Yourself • Respect Others • Respect Property