Friday, March 5, 2010
Our Instructional Focus:
At Jefferson Middle School we are...
• And discussing what we learn
NO GUM IS ALLOWED AT SCHOOL!
NO RUBBER BANDS!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ....
Kodi P., Brendan W., Nicholas H., & Mosean W.!
Students ~ Wear your yellow JMS Spirit Shirts Monday!!!!!
Teachers ~ Please continue to wear your ISAT shirts next week.
ISATs CONTINUE TODAY
ISATs continue today! The ISATs are scheduled for March 2nd through March 12th. During ISATs, we'll have prizes for perfect attendance. We want you to do your best on the tests! Please ask your parents to schedule doctor appointments at times that will not interfere with your tests. There will be a dance on Friday, March 12th for students who have had perfect attendance during the testing time. The dance will be free and prizes will be given away during that time.
Here are some tips that might help you be more successful in taking the tests.
• Get plenty of sleep.
• Be sure to start your day with a good breakfast.
• Relax ~ Don't stress out about the tests.
Do your best and ROCK THE TEST!
Main Entree: Gilardi Cheese Sticks; French Fries; Green Beans
A la Carte:
Monday's Breakfast: Pancakes-on-a-Stick
Reserve the date ~ March 18th! From 6-8PM JMS PTC is sponsoring a skating party at Skateland South for all JMS students. Admission cost is $4 and skate rental is $2.
Come out and shoot the duck with your favorite teacher or administrator! How about it, Ms. Nelson & Mrs. Borders — are you up to the challenge????
• 8th grade volleyball ~ Regional competition is tomorrow, March 6th. The bus will leave the school at 8AM in the back of the school for the 7th & 8th grade girls. The game will be in Rochester at 9AM. We will be playing Decatur Jefferson again.
No practice today.
• Track ~ Track practice will begin Tuesday, March 9th. We will have practice Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Please go to the gym immediately after school. You should bring proper clothes to run in. You should also bring a jacket or sweats in case we go outside for a portion of the practice.
You must have a 2.0 grade average from the first semester to tryout. You must also have a sport's physical on file with the school as well as an athletic form filled out. Athletic forms are found in the main office. If you do not have a sport's physical, a doctor will be available Wednesday after school to give physicals for a fee of $10.
Direct any questions to Mr. Blunk or Mr. Taylor.
• JFL 2010 Football Sign-Up ~ Registration March 20th and April 24th at Kicks on 6th Street from 11:30AM - 4PM. There is an $85 registration fee. For more information, please contact JFL Hotline at (217) 416-8533, P.O. Box 3116, or visit their website at:
• Springfield Youth Football League ~ Registration for tackle football for kindergarten through 8th grade will take place:
~ Saturday, April 17th from 9AM-1PM at Hope Church - 3000 Lenhart Road
~ Saturday, May 15th from 9AM-1PM at Bank of Springfield Building - 9th & Madison
You must pay the $85 registration fee at time of registration. Checks should be made payable to SYF. Also, bring a copy of the player's birth certificate that the league can keep. Returning players do not have to do this. Please have the player with you for sizing! For more information, contact by email at
firstname.lastname@example.org or check the website at http://www.springfieldyouthfootball.com
Yearbook Club will meet Thursday after school from 2:30-4PM.
PENNIES FOR PASTA
Our Pennies for Pasta campaign is going strong. For every 50¢ you donate to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, you will receive a ticket for a chance to put a pie in Mrs. Borders' face! Each 1st hour teacher has a donation box and will hand out the tickets. Tickets will be put in a jar in the cafeteria. The class with the most money collected wins lunch from Olive Garden!
EXPANDING YOUR HORIZONS
What: A hands-on career conference for 6th, 7th, & 8th grade girls.
When: Saturday, March 20th from 8AM to 12:45PM
For more information, contact Jean Coontz at (217) 787-8078.
Students ~ Cell phones, iPods, MP3 players, and any other electronic device should be turned off and out of sight during the school day. If ANY staff member sees a student with an electronic device of ANY kind, it will be taken away from that student. The device will then be taken to the office. The student's name will be attached to the device and then it will be put in the safe. A parent will have to come to school to pick up the device.
SNACK ATTACK STORE
The Snack Attack Store is in the main lobby for after school before you board the buses. Each snack costs $1.
Order this year's yearbook today! They are on sale for $20. If you have any questions, see Ms. J-C in room 115.
Remember our school expectations:
Respect Yourself • Respect Others • Respect Property