Thursday, February 18, 2010
Our Instructional Focus:
At Jefferson Middle School we are...
• And discussing what we learn
NO GUM IS ALLOWED AT SCHOOL!
NO RUBBER BANDS!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ....
Precious B., Royale B., & Bradley K.!
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1885, Mark Twain published his very famous and very successful novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain was the pen name of Samuel Clemens.
Main Entree: Chicken Patty; Spaghetti; Au Gratin Potatoes; Green Beans
A la Carte:
Tomorrow's Breakfast: Donuts
• 7th/8th grade volleyball ~ Congratulations to the 8th grade team on their win over WMS!
• Spartan Cheerleading Clinic ~ SSHS Spartan cheerleading clinic where participants will learn a cheer, chants, motions, jumps, & stunts. Participants will perform during half-time of the JV game on February 20th. The game starts at a5PM.
Who: Girls & Boys Grades Pre-K through 8
When: February 20 from 9AM-12PM with check in beginning at 8:30AM
Where: Southeast High School Gymnasium
Cost: $25 per child which includes the clinic, t-shirt & snack
• JFL 2010 Football Sign-Up ~ Registration February 20th, March 20th, and April 24th at Kicks on 6th Street from 11:30AM - 4PM. There is an $85 registration fee. For more information, please contact JFL Hotline at (217) 416-8533, P.O. Box 3116, or visit their website at:
Yearbook Club will meet today after school from 2:30-4PM in room 115. See you there!
Come out and support the Hip-Hop Dance team as they perform at Southeast High School Friday during half-time of the JV game [6PM]. Admission is $3.
Attention students!!! Come check out the JMS Scholastic Bowl team. We will meet today from 2:30-4PM in room 206. All students are welcome.
MUFFINS WITH MOM
When: Tuesday, February 23rd
Moms are invited to come out and eat muffins with their students and enjoy each other's company while meeting other moms. Please RSVP ASAP.
Jefferson's Valentine's Dance will be held Friday from 2:30-4PM. The cost is $3. Tickets will only be sold during lunch shifts today & Friday. There will be activity buses to take you home after the dance.
FANNIE MAY CANDY FUND RAISER
Once again we will be selling Fannie May candy! You should have received all of your information. Take it home and make sure your parent/guardian reads all of the information in the letter. Each box of candy sells for $11. Please collect the money when the order is placed. All checks should be made payable to Jefferson Middle School. Orders and money are due Monday, February 22nd.
Get out there and sell! Prizes are as follows:
• Everyone who sells at least one box of candy will receive a Fannie May candy bar.
• For every 5 boxes sold, your name will be placed in a drawing for $50 cash.
• For every 8 boxes sold, you will receive one free box of candy.
• For every 10 boxes sold, you will be allowed to choose an envelope that contains either $1, $5, or $10.
• For every 20 boxes sold, your name will be placed in a drawing for $1000 cash!
• The top seller for our school will receive a $50 cash bonus.
ISATs ARE COMING!
The ISATs are scheduled for March 2nd through March 12th. During ISATs, we'll have prizes for perfect attendance. We want you to do your best on the tests! Please ask your parents to schedule doctor appointments at times that will not interfere with your tests. There will be a dance on Friday, March 12th for students who have had perfect attendance during the testing time. The dance will be free and prizes will be given away during that time.
EXPANDING YOUR HORIZONS
What: A hands-on career conference for 6th, 7th, & 8th grade girls.
When: Saturday, March 20th from 8AM to 12:45PM
For more information, contact Jean Coontz at (217) 787-8078.
Students ~ Cell phones, iPods, MP3 players, and any other electronic device should be turned off and out of sight during the school day. If ANY staff member sees a student with an electronic device of ANY kind, it will be taken away from that student. The device will then be taken to the office. The student's name will be attached to the device and then it will be put in the safe. A parent will have to come to school to pick up the device.
If you have moved recently, please give the office the new information. We need your current address and phone contact information.
At JMS, adults are in charge. When you have a guest teacher, you are expected to be respectful and helpful. Disrespect will not be tolerated.
The JMS School Store is open! Come to the main lobby before school and purchase school supplies.
SNACK ATTACK STORE
The Snack Attack Store is in the main lobby for after school before you board the buses. Each snack costs $1.
In order to cut down on the number of students arriving tardy to class, we will continue having hallway sweeps this week. Once the tardy bell has rung, if you are not in class, you will be swept and consequences will be issued.
We will be doing hallway sweeps after school! If you are not being supervised by an adult, you will be in an all day buddy room.
Last year's yearbooks are available for the low price of $10! See Ms. J-C in room 115.
Order this year's yearbook today! They are on sale for $20. If you have any questions, see Ms. J-C in room 115.
Just a reminder ~ You may not wear a long-sleeved shirt under your short-sleeved uniform shirt. Girls ~ You may not tie your shirt in the back!
Remember our school expectations:
Respect Yourself • Respect Others • Respect Property