Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Respect yourself. • Respect others. • Respect property.
It is never ok to be disruptive. It is never ok to be hurtful.
NO GUM IS ALLOWED AT SCHOOL!
Today is an 11AM dismissal.
STUDENTS: You are not allowed in the building until the 7:50AM bell rings unless you are coming in for breakfast!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ....
Drake C. & Dillon J.!
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1873, businessman Levi Strauss and tailor Jacob Davis were given a patent to design and create work pants. These pants were reinforced with metal rivets and were made of denim. This was the origin of one of the world's most famous pieces of clothing ~ blue jeans!
Main Entree: Early dismissal.
Tomorrow's Breakfast: Breakfast Bagels
You must eat or drink all food before you leave the cafeteria. Nothing is allowed outside! Clean up after yourself in the cafeteria.
Nachos will be sold during all lunch shifts tomorrow for $1.
Attention all JMS students!
We need your help! Please take 30 seconds of your spare time to take a survey that is all about your favorite things. Choose your favorite sport, your favorite food, and more. The surveys are on the table in the main lobby just outside of the main office. The survey will end at the end of the day today.
• Track ~ All track athletes ~ You need to turn in your "clean" track sweats and uniforms. Please put your uniform in a bag with your name on a piece of paper and give it to Coach Taylor, Coach Blunk, or Mrs. Borders.
• Lady Spartans ~ Any girls who are working out with the Lady Spartans basketball team, Thursday's workout time has been changed to 3:30-5PM.
• Spfld Tennis Academy ~ The program is open to youths between the ages of 7 & 18 years old. Students will learn the fundamentals of playing tennis. Tennis racquets & balls are provided. Lessons begin June 2nd and end on August 6th on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6-7:30PM at Southeast High School. The cost is $25 per student. Enrollment will be held on June 2nd at Southeast High School tennis courts.
• 2009 Lady Lions Volleyball Camp ~ This skills camp is open to anyone who will be in grades 1-6 in the fall of 2009. The camp will be held June 15th - 17th from 10AM-Noon at Lanphier High School. Registration must be returned by May 15th. Forms are available in the JMS main office.
• U of I Summer Sports Camps ~ Please see Mrs. Borders for information regarding summer sports camps at the U of I in Champaign-Urbana.
• Springfield Youth Football League ~ A representative from the Springfield Youth Football League will be here on May 21st. He will be talking to any 6th or 7th grade boy interested in playing football. See Mrs. Borders for registration information.
• Springfield Junior Football League Registration
When: May 30th & June 13th from 11AM-4PM
Registration Fee: $85
Practice Begins: July 20th
SOUTHEAST SENSATIONS AUDITIONS
Southeast High School will be holding auditions for the 2009-2010 "Sensations" Show Choir on Wednesday, May 20th from 3:30-6PM. Pick up an audition form from Mrs. Williams.
SOUTHEAST CHEERLEADING TRYOUTS
Clinic Workshop Dates: May 21 & 22
Tryout Date: May 23 from 9-Noon
Where: Southeast High School Gym
For more information, call 525-3130.
SPRING RUMMAGE SALE POSTPONED
The JMS rummage sale originally scheduled for May 30th has been postponed until the fall.
Attendance is important for success!
Your team of teachers will be keeping track of your attendance, tardies and Buddy Room visits from Tuesday, May 19th through Tuesday, May 26th. Your reward for having perfect attendance, no tardies and no Buddy visits will be an out of uniform day! If you are eligible, you will be allowed to wear jeans and t-shirts on Wednesday, May 27th. You will also be eligible to attend the talent show that afternoon.
In order for students to wear jeans, they must have met the following requirements:
• Students must have been present all day, every block from May 19th through
• Students were on time — no tardies — to school and to all classes.
• Students received NO Buddy Room visits for the week.
Congratulations to all JMS students who successfully completed this week's attendance challenge!
All library books must be returned to the library as soon as possible. Please check your book bags, home closets and book shelf for library books. Fines will be given to students with overdue books.
The talent show will be held Wednesday, May 27th during 4th block. Attendance will be tied to an "Attendance Challenge" — make sure you're coming to school all day everyday in order to be eligible!
Talent show participants need to be practicing their acts for next weeks' talent show. If you need help getting background music, please see Mrs. Wash or Mrs. Orama. We will have a dress rehearsal next Tuesday after school.
If you have moved recently, please tell Mrs. Frye. She will need to update her records with your new address.
Yearbooks are on sale for $25. There is a limited supply so hurry up and get yours while supplies last. You can bring payment to Ms. J-C or to the main office.
YMCA DAY CAMP
If you are interested in attending the YMCA Day Camp this summer, please go to the main office for more information.
DRESS CODE reminder ~ Shorts and capris may be worn now! However, no cargo capris or shorts. Shorts must come below your longest finger when you place it against your leg.
END OF THE YEAR TRIPS
Knight's trip for 6th & 7th grade - May 22nd:
Money is due now. The fee is $22.
Six Flags trip for 8th grade - May 29th:
Money is due by May 22nd. The fee is $50.
Please remember ~ there are requirements for you to be eligible for the end of the year trips to Six Flags or Knight's Action Park.
1. GRADES: passing all classes for 4th quarter
2. ATTENDANCE: 90% attendance for the school year
3. BEHAVIOR: no suspensions during 4th quarter
STUDENT OF THE MONTH LUNCH
The May Student of the Month Lunch will be held tomorrow during your regular lunch shift.
8TH GRADE DANCE
The 8th grade dance will be held Friday, May 22nd from 5:30-8PM. There will be a cookout before the dance. This dance is for 8th grade students only!
Hallway sweeps will continue. Be sure to get to class on time and be in your seat before the tardy bell rings.
• Keep earning those PRIDE cards and turning them in so you will be eligible for the next Out of the Blue activity.
Remember our school expectations:
Respect Yourself • Respect Others • Respect Property