Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Respect yourself. • Respect others. • Respect property.
It is never ok to be disruptive. It is never ok to be hurtful.
NO GUM IS ALLOWED AT SCHOOL!
STUDENTS: You are not allowed in the building until the 7:50AM bell rings unless you are coming in for breakfast!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ....
No JMS birthdays today!
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1957, A.J. Foyt won his first car race in Kansas City, Missouri. He went on to be a 4-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 car race.
Main Entree: Tacos; French Fries
Tomorrow's Breakfast: Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits
You must eat or drink all food before you leave the cafeteria. Nothing is allowed outside! Clean up after yourself in the cafeteria.
STATE SCIENCE FAIR
Congratulations to Saaj S. on her Silver Medal in the State Science Fair in Champaign on Saturday. Saaj competed with 1,300 other students. Way to go Saaj! Also, thank you to Kendra P. worked as a runner for the event. Good job girls!
6th & 7th grade students ~ Please turn in your AVID application to the Guidance Office this week.
• Spfld Tennis Academy ~ The program is open to youths between the ages of 7 & 18 years old. Students will learn the fundamentals of playing tennis. Tennis racquets & balls are provided. Lessons begin June 2nd and end on August 6th on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6-7:30PM at Southeast High School. The cost is $25 per student. Enrollment will be held on June 2nd at Southeast High School tennis courts.
• 2009 Lady Lions Volleyball Camp ~ This skills camp is open to anyone who will be in grades 1-6 in the fall of 2009. The camp will be held June 15th - 17th from 10AM-Noon at Lanphier High School. Registration must be returned by May 15th. Forms are available in the JMS main office.
• U of I Summer Sports Camps ~ Please see Mrs. Borders for information regarding summer sports camps at the U of I in Champaign-Urbana.
• LHS Football ~ Any 8th grade boy interested in playing football at Lanphier High School, please attend a meeting on May 13th at 8AM in the library.
• Ambush Volleyball ~ 7th grade Ambush Volleyball players will have practice today, from 6-7:30PM.
SOUTHEAST POM PON TRYOUTS
Attention all 8th graders interested in trying out for the Southeast poms: There will be a mandatory parent meeting on May 12th at 6PM at Southeast in room 223. Tryouts will be held Saturday, May 30th from 9AM-4PM in the SSHS gym. For more information, email email@example.com.
SOUTHEAST SENSATIONS AUDITIONS
Southeast High School will be holding auditions for the 2009-2010 "Sensations" Show Choir on Wednesday, May 20th from 3:30-6PM. Pick up an audition form from Mrs. Williams.
SOUTHEAST CHEERLEADING TRYOUTS
Clinic Workshop Dates: May 21 & 22
Tryout Date: May 23 from 9-Noon
Where: Southeast High School Gym
For more information, call 525-3130.
Attendance is important for success!
Your team of teachers will be keeping track of your attendance, tardies and Buddy Room visits this week. Your reward for having perfect attendance, no tardies and no Buddy visits will be an out of uniform day! If you are eligible, you will be allowed to wear jeans and t-shirts on Monday, May 18th. We will also have a drawing for 3 iTunes gift cards.
In order for students to wear jeans, they must have met the following requirements:
• Students must have been present all day, every block from May 11th through
• Students were on time — no tardies — to school and to all classes.
• Students received NO Buddy Room visits for the week.
Congratulations to all JMS students who successfully completed this week's attendance challenge!
Talent show tryouts will be Wednesday during each grade's lunch shift. Come to room 102 at the beginning of your lunch. If you have any questions, see Mrs. Orama or Mrs. Wash.
Honors' Night will be held Wednesday evening at 7PM in the Southeast Hight School auditorium. Admission is by invitation only.
Have fun and get active at the PHAT Expo on Wednesday, May 13th from 3:30-7PM in the Southeast High School gymnasium. There will be 3-on-3 basketball,double Dutch tournaments, Dance Dance Revolution, Wii Rit, Health/Wellness screenings, healthy snacks concession stand, smoothie bar, and All Star basketball games! See Mrs. Gordy or Mrs. Lawrence in the Guidance Office for more information.
Yearbooks are on sale for $25. There is a limited supply so hurry up and get yours while supplies last. You can bring payment to Ms. J-C or to the main office.
JMS GARAGE SALE
What: JMS Garage Sale
When: Saturday, May 30th
Where: JMS Gym
Tables will be available for a $25 rental fee. Any profit made at your table may be kept or donated to the school.
YMCA DAY CAMP
If you are interested in attending the YMCA Day Camp this summer, please go to the main office for more information.
DRESS CODE reminder ~ Shorts and capris may be worn now! However, no cargo capris or shorts. Shorts must come below your longest finger when you place it against your leg.
Skinny black jeans are not acceptable. No denim is allowed.
You may not wear long-sleeved shirts under your uniform polo. No jackets are to be worn in the classrooms. No string bags or purses should be carried into classrooms. Sagging pants will not be tolerated!
If you purchase an 8th grade t-shirt, you may wear it through the end of the school year on Friday's only. If you decorate your 8th grade t-shirt or have others sign your shirt, you will NOT be allowed to wear it.
In addition, sweatshirts may not be worn half-on, half-off. If you choose to wear a sweatshirt, you must have it on all the way.
Nose piercings are not allowed in District 186 schools. You may not wear a nose ring, a clear spacer, or a bar, or wear a band-aid to cover the piercing. If you refuse to remove the nose ring, you will be written up, sent to the office and sent home.
END OF THE YEAR TRIPS
Knight's trip for 6th & 7th grade - May 22nd:
Money is due by May 15th. The fee is $22.
Six Flags trip for 8th grade - May 29th:
Money is due by May 22nd. The fee is $50.
Please remember ~ there are requirements for you to be eligible for the end of the year trips to Six Flags or Knight's Action Park.
1. GRADES: passing all classes for 4th quarter
2. ATTENDANCE: 90% attendance for the school year
3. BEHAVIOR: no suspensions during 4th quarter
Fun Day will be held Friday, May 15th. Tickets will cost 25¢ each. Each activity will require at least 2 or 3 tickets.
Hallway sweeps will continue. Be sure to get to class on time and be in your seat before the tardy bell rings.
• Keep earning those PRIDE cards and turning them in so you will be eligible for the next Out of the Blue activity.
• Before and after school expectations will be reviewed in the classroom today during 1st and 2nd hours. Assistant principals will be reviewing bus expectations with you as well.
Whenever you have a guest teacher, you are to show him/her the same respect as you would your regular teacher. The guest teacher knows the BIST procedures. If you are asked to go to the Safe Seat, you must move to the Safe Seat. If you must be removed from the classroom, you will be escorted to room 109 and issued two after-school detentions.
Remember our school expectations:
Respect Yourself • Respect Others • Respect Property