Wednesday, April 9, 2018
• OUTSIDE DAY FOR LUNCH BREAK UNLESS THE WEATHER DOES NOT ALLOW • NO 21ST CENTURY AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM THIS WEEK •
Remember ~ You are in charge of the choices that you make. Your day is what you make it. Let’s make it a great one!
Congratulations to the following classes who showed respect and did the right thing for a guest teacher.
• Mr. Blunk's 4th & 5th period classes on 3/28 & 3/29.
• Ms. Harrison's 1st period class on 3/27.
• Mrs. Daley's 5th & 6th period classes on 3/27 & 3/28.
• Ms. O'Brien's 3rd & 4th period classes on 3/26 & 3/27.
Keep showing that Jaguar PRIDE!!
COLLEGE & CAREER WEEK
This week in your advisory classes you'll be wxploring different careers or career clusters and connecting those to possible college choices. You may be interested in a 4-year college, 2-year college, a trade school, or an advanced degree.
This week is your opportunity to explore how your education affects your future!
WELLNESS WAKEUP CALL
Beans truly are a one of a kind vegetable that provide a unique combination of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals! Eat more, and you'll reduce your risk of heart disease and multiple types of cancer.
At JMS, we follow and enforce the District Dress Code Policy. Therefore, “hats, caps, bandannas, sweatbands, sunglasses, pajama pants, slippers, or shoes with wheels attached to the bottom shall not be worn in the buildings.”
In addition, jackets, sweatshirts, & hoodies should not be worn around the waist. Hoodies and jackets are not allowed in the classroom. Sweaters must be a solid color with no zippers or hoods. Layered shirts under your polo must be a solid color.
All personal grooming items should be kept in your locker. This includes combs, brushes, picks, cologne, lotion, lip gloss, glitter, etc.
PHOTOS & VIDEOS
Students may NOT take photos or videos while on the school grounds. There are several JMS students who may not be photographed or videoed by law. If you are asked to stop or asked to surrender your phone, you must comply. If you do not, your parent/guardian will be called and will have to come to school.
You may only go to your locker before school, before lunch, after lunch, and after school. You may not go to your locker between classes. Be sure you are prepared for class!
You only have 12 bathroom passes per quarter. Use them wisely. Do not walk out of class if your teacher asks you to wait.
We are conducting hallway sweeps! Get to class on time. If you are tardy, you will be instructed to go to one of the offices where you will call your parent and then be issued consequences.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂
Madison B. & Zariya T.!
Please do not send balloons, flowers, candy, cupcakes, etc. to celebrate student birthdays. Students should not wear birthday tiaras, sashes, buttons, etc. as these items are not part of the enhanced dress code. Our goal is to keep to a minimum the number of distractions in the learning environment.
Main Entrée: Spicy Chicken Strips with Breadsticks OR Mozzarella Breadsticks
Tomorrow's Breakfast: Muffins with Cheese
NO GUM ON TRAYS!
- Form 2 single-file lines.
- Girls sit on the left side of the cafeteria.
- Boys sit on the right side of the cafeteria.
- Fill up each table.
- Admin will dismiss you by tables when it’s time to throw away your trash and go outside.
- Clean up after yourself and push in your chair.
No food or drinks may be taken out of the cafeteria. You may not eat or drink in the halls or the classrooms. The "sale" of Kool-Aid is NOT allowed.
When you hear the tardy bell music, girls should be in the cafeteria and boys should be outside. You should NOT be hanging out in the halls or in the bathrooms. Go directly to lunch!
PE LOCKER ROOMS
The PE locker rooms are open in the morning before advisory everyday. This is when you should put your PE clothes in your PE locker. No bags are allowed in classrooms.
Order forms for long sleeve t-shirts, crew neck sweatshirts, and hoodies can be found in the Jaguar News in the main lobby. Please remember that hoodies cannot be worn in the classroom.
BOXTOPS FOR EDUCATION
Keep bringing in those Box Tops!
If you are on Check-in Check-out, please remember to give your check sheet to each of your teachers AND to check out with your last teacher of the day!
Get your JMS yearbook ordered now! Place your order for a JMS 2017-18 Yearbook for the low price of $25. Order forms can be found in the Jaguar News in the main lobby.
Lincoln Land Community College will be providing a full scholarship to one 8th grade student from JMS! If you would like to qualify for this scholarship, the Guidance Office is asking that you write an essay describing "Why do you believe you should receive the LLCC scholarship."
This essay must be turned in to Mrs. Doss tomorrow. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Doss. More information can also be found in the Jaguar News in the main lobby.
Here are some examples of questions you could answer in your essay.
- Briefly describe your long-term and short-term goals.
- Why do you want to get a college education?
- Describe your most meaningful achievements and how they relate to your future goas.
- Pick an experience from your own life and explain how it has influenced your development.
21st CENTURY AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM
There is NO 21st Century this week. There will be mandatory parent meetings.
8th Grade - Today, 04/09 from 4:30-6:30PM
6th Grade - Tomorrow, 04/10 from 4:30-6:30PM
7th Grade - Wednesday, 04/11 from 4:30-6:30PM
Don't forget to reserve your spot at the JMS Motown Dance that will be held on Friday evening from 5:30-7:30PM in the JMS gym. Come enjoy an evening of dancing, fun activities, contests, and prizes. All JMS students and their families are invited to attend. All students must attend with an adult.
Congratulations to Demarion H., Malachi R., Jaidynn A., and Braden N. on competing in the Illinois Junior Science Academy at LLCC. They worked very hard on their projects since November. Great job!
AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
Brain Boosters will meet after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
JMS JAGUARS ~ You are STUDENTS first and ATHLETES second!
• Track - Practice today from 2:30-4PM.
• JMS Cheerleaders - If you are interested in trying out for the cheer squad for next school year, listen at lunch for more info. Tryouts will be held during April.
• SSHS Poms - Southeast High School pom applications can be found in the Jaguar News for those interested in trying out for the 2018-2019 pom squad.
• UIS Summer Volleyball Camp - Elite Skills Camp for 14-17 year olds on June 19-20 from 9AM-3PM for $70. More info is available in the Jaguar News.
Have a great day!
At JMS I will ….
to show my Jaguar PRIDE!