Thursday, February 4, 2016
• OUTSIDE DAY FOR LUNCH BREAK UNLESS THE WEATHER DOES NOT ALLOW •
Remember ~ your day is what you make it. Let's make it a good one!
WELLNESS WAKEUP CALL
No matter what your shape, size, or age, exercise is for everyone. It is as important to be fit on the inside as it is to be fit on the outside.
Kids who exercise every day are happier, to do better in school, and handle stress better than kids who don't exercise.
Main Entree: Italian Pasta Bake; Hot Ham & Swiss on a Sub Bun
Tomorrow's Breakfast: Donuts
**February is Heart Smart month. We are going to have an additional healthy meal each day. It will be announced as Healthy Heart Smart!**
1. Form 2 single file lines.
2. Girls sit on the left side of the cafeteria.
3. Boys sit on the right side of the cafeteria.
4. Fill up each table.
5. Admin will dismiss you by tables when it's time to throw away your trash & go outside.
6. Clean up after yourself & push in your chair.
• If you have a change of address or phone number, please notify Mrs. Frye in the Guidance Office.
• 6th grade students will line up in the morning outside of the cafeteria doors. 7th & 8th grade students will gather on the blacktop behind the school & enter through the blacktop doors.
• Do not leave your binders or books on the floor outside of your lockers or cafeteria. Anything left on the floor will be moved to the Lost & Found.
• Be extra quiet in the halls during lunch shifts.
• In the morning, get your supplies and go directly to your 1st period. Do not wait for your friends.
• Do not share your locker with anyone. Do not share your locker combination with anyone. Be sure to spin your lock after you close your locker. Do not leave the combination set.
• Jackets & hoodies may NOT be worn in the classroom.
• Food should NOT be brought into the classroom.
• All students are expected to carry their binder to all classes including those classes after lunch.
• NO selfie sticks allowed at school.
• No students may come to any of the offices during passing periods. You MUST have a pass from your teacher!
CELL PHONE POLICY
All student cell phones must be turned off and concealed during the school day or they will be taken by an administrator.
Pasta for Pennies
Every three minutes, another child or grownup will be diagnosed with a blood cancer. Remember, your efforts are helping local kids with cancer and funding research around the world to find cures. The sky is the limit! Did you know that it would take 270 billion pennies stacked up to tower 238, 857 miles to the moon?
Keep up your great teamwork and generosity with Pasta for Pennies! Tomorrow is the last day for first hour collections and selling candy grams at lunch.
Yearbook! Get your yearbook here! Haven't ordered your 2015-16 JMS yearbook yet? There is still time! You can order yearbooks through February 29th for $20. See Ms. Sponsler in room 123, Mrs. Goss-Rodgers in room 103 or the Jaguar News for an order form. The price will increase to $25 after March 1st, so get those orders in!
Practice after school today from 2:30-4PM in room 103. If you have questions, see Mrs. Goss-Rodgers or Mrs. Flanagan.
Practice after school today from 2:30-4PM in room 122. If you have questions, see Ms. Harrison.
Meeting after school tomorrow from 2:30-4PM in room 218. If you have questions, see Ms. Chavours.
Don't forget about the Valentine's Dance on Friday! The dance will be from 6-8PM. We will have a live DJ, concessions for snack sales, and pictures for $1 each. Admission is $3 per JMS student.
If you have in-house or a suspension today or tomorrow, you will not be allowed to attend the dance.
Remember to turn in your overdue library books so you'll be eligible to attend the dance!
JMS Bingo Book Challenge
Do you like a challenge? The JMS BINGO Book Challenge continues today. During library class, you will receive your BINGO card and instructions for how to be a part of the challenge. Teachers and staff, stop by the library and get your BINGO card and sign your name to the commitment poster. Let's get geared up, JMS, to read over 700 books!
Brain Boosters will meet Tuesdays & Thursdays after school from 2:30-4:15PM.
The JMS book club will meet every Tuesday and Thursday after school from 2:30-4PM in room 219. Snacks will be provided. After we finish the book, we will go on a field trip! If you have any questions, see Mrs. Walls-Butler in room 112.
Washington, D.C. Info
There is still time for you to sign up for the Washington, D.C. trip! See Mr. Craner in room 117 for more information.
8th graders interested in becoming an exchange student in Ashikaga, Japan:
The next information session will be held on Monday, February 8th at 7PM in the Board Room of the Springfield District 186 Administrative Center at 1900 W. Monroe Street next to Grant Middle School.
All interested students and their parents are encouraged to attend. Applications will be available at the meetings. February 29th is the application deadline.
Families unable to attend one of the information sessions may contact the SCAS Ashikaga committee chair for more information and an application packet. Be sure to check out the article on the JMS webpage for contact information.
Students are encouraged to put their PE clothes in their gym lockers in the morning! The PE locker rooms will be open everyday.
Lost Keys/Lost Glasses
If anyone has lost keys or glasses, please check with Mrs. Collier in the main office.
Box Tops 4 Education
Way to go JMS! We have been doing a great job collecting BoxTops. Thank you to everyone who has turned them in, your names will stay in the raffle. There will be another drawing at the end of February so keep turning in those boxtops!
Spirit Wear Orders
JMS Spirit Wear orders are being accepted now! You may order long-sleeve t-shirts, crew neck sweatshirts, and hooded sweatshirts [may not be worn in class]. No short-sleeve t-shirts are being sold at this time. All order forms and money are due no later than tomorrow!
Order forms can be found in the Jaguar News in the main lobby.
JMS JAGUARS ~ You are STUDENTS first & ATHLETES second!
Please remember to follow all school rules & to show proper sportsmanship when attending a school sporting event. If you are removed from an event, whether at JMS or another school, you may be banned from attending any future extra-curricular events for the remainder of the school year.
• Girls' Volleyball
— 6th grade - Practice today from 2:30-4PM.
— 7/8th grade HOME games today against Taylorville. 1st game begins at 4PM.
8th grade team will play for the Regional Championship tonight at WMS at 5:30PM against GMS. Good luck!
• Springfield Youth Football
Tackle football for 1st through 8th grade!
2016 registration will be held Saturday, February 6th from 10AM-1PM in the basement of the Bank of Springfield Building at 9th & Madison.
New players must bring a copy of their birth certificate that the league can keep. The registration fee is $105 for returning players and $135 for new players.
Flyers are available in the Jaguar News.
For more information, call (217) 341-8205 or email email@example.com or go to http://www.springfieldyouthfootball.com
Have a great day!
At JMS I will ....
to show my Jaguar PRIDE!