On October 7th, 2009, Marion Richter, Etiquette Trainer presented a workshop on etiquette for the job interviewing process.
Marion reviewed how to prepare for the interview. Planning ahead on how to answer possible interview questions and being prepared to discuss the answers during the interview conversation. Some points to have prepared ahead for discussion are:
• Three things I am really good at.
• Three things that I have accomplished that I am very proud of.
• Three things I know about the company I am interviewing with.
•Three reasons that they should hire me – what I can do for the company.
During the interview process it is important to greet everyone cordially and give your name. Shake hands when the interviewer offers and wait to be seated when asked.
Remember to make eye contact, practice good posture and have a pleasant face.
When it is time to leave the interview remember to shake hands, look the interviewer in the eye, thank them for the interview and say goodbye to everyone on the way out.
After the interview send a thank you letter within 24 hours. This gesture will set you apart from the other applicants. Important factors for writing a thank you note are:
• Double check the spelling of all names, titles and addresses.
• Be brief, short and simple.
• Mention the specific job title you interviewed for.
• Thank them again for the interview.
• Check for spelling and typos before signing and mailing.