Springfield Christian Chess Tournament
Saturday, October 1st
The tournament will be held at Springfield Christian School, 2850 Cider Mill Lane, Springfield, IL. Registration will begin at 8:30 AM and the tournament will begin at approximately 9:00 AM. We will break for lunch; due to time constraints we ask that students either bring a lunch or patronize the coffee bar (which will have a wide variety of sandwiches and snacks) at the adjoining West Side Christian Church. Lunch break will only be 30 minutes. The tournament will end at approximately 4:30~5:00 PM. Entry fee is $5, and the tournament is open to kids in 5th through 8th grades.
A 5K run will be going on at the same time as the chess tournament this Saturday, which means that the school's main entrance off of Cider Mill Lane will be blocked off at various times throughout the day. So, here are directions to the school's back entrance:
1. Go to the intersection of Veteran's Parkway and Washington Street (for those of you unfamiliar with Springfield, there will be a traffic light, so don't worry about missing it).
2. Go west on Washington Street.
3. Turn right onto Westbrook Street. Westbrook is the second street west of Veteran's.
4. You'll wind through a subdivision. You're going to think you're lost, but you're not. You'll come to a sign that says "Private Property" - continue on, as the Private Property being referred to is SCS. Westbrook will dead-end into the SCS parking lot.
5. Google maps is misleading - if you look on Google maps it doesn't look like Westbrook connects all the way to SCS. Trust me, it does.
6. Somebody will be standing outside near the parking lot greeting players and directing them which door to enter. Once inside the building, follow the signs.