SANDBURG PARENTS, TEACHERS AND COMMUNITY
The name of this organization shall be Sandburg Parents, Teachers and Community (PTC).
The mission of Sandburg PTC is to serve as a support board for Carl Sandburg Elementary School in promoting the welfare of the children attending Carl Sandburg Elementary School.
1. Sandburg PTC shall be non-commercial, non-sectarian and non-partisan. No commercial enterprise and no candidate shall be endorsed by it. Names of the PTC shall not be used in any connection with a commercial concern or with any partisan interest or for any purpose other that regular business of the PTC. This section, however, is not intended to restrict PTC approved fundraising projects.
2. Sandburg PTC may collaborate with other organizations and agencies active in matters of common interest provided that such cooperation does not violate any objectives or other policies of the PTC.
3. Sandburg PTC shall not seek to direct the administrative activities of the school or to control its policies.
4. The funds of Sandburg PTC shall be used for the lease or purchase of those items or services needed by the school which are viewed as a supplement to the regular school budget. Expenditures must be approved by the membership of the organization, the Executive Committee or the Committee chairs authorized herein. All expenditures of the PTC must be contained within an approved budget. Additional expenditures must be approved by a majority of the members present.
5. The fiscal year shall be defined as the first day of the school year to the day prior to the first day of the next school year.
6. Correspondence shall not be sent out to the general PTC membership or families at Sandburg School without prior approval of the Executive Committee and the Principal.
1. All parents and guardians of students and the staff members at Carl Sandburg Elementary School may be a member upon payment of dues.
2. The annual dues shall be determined by the Executive Committee and shall be payable at any point during the school year. The membership year shall be from the first day of the school year to the day prior to the first day of the next school year.
1. The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. The President shall have had one active year of participation on the Sandburg PTC. These members shall attend all monthly PTC meetings. Failure to attend any two consecutive meetings without justification may result in a vacancy by majority vote of the Executive Committee.
2. Duties of the Executive Committee shall be to:
a. work in a collaborative effort with the Principal and staff at Sandburg School,
b. facilitate the ongoing business of the monthly PTC meetings,
c. provide assistance to all other committees, and
d. facilitate the preparation of a yearly budget for membership approval.
3. The Executive Committee shall prepare and communicate the budget to all Sandburg families.
4. A majority of the Executive Committee constitutes a quorum and a majority of the committee members attending such meetings shall be empowered to transact business thereof.
5. If an Executive Committee member is negligent in the performance of the duties of the position in accordance with the mission and the bylaws of the PTC, the Executive Committee, Principal, and teacher representative, by majority vote shall declare the office vacant.
6. Vacancies in an office shall be filled by majority vote of the Executive Committee, with such appointed position to act for the balance of the unexpired term of such office.
1. The President shall preside at all general and special meetings of the PTC. The role of the President is to:
a. facilitate all meetings,
b. ensure that the committee chairs are completing their work and are ready to make recommendations to the general membership, and
c. serve as spokesperson for the PTC at school functions.
2. In his or her absence, the Vice-President shall preside.
1. The Vice-President shall act as an aide to the President and shall perform the duties of the President in the absence or inability of the President to act.
1. The Secretary shall:
a. keep accurate minutes of all monthly PTC and Executive Committee meetings,
b. submit the upcoming agenda prior to the monthly meeting, and
c. make the minutes from the previous PTC meeting available to Sandburg families in a timely manner.
1. The Treasurer shall:
a. keep accurate records in good faith of all credits and debits incurred as approved by the Executive Committee and the PTC,
b. provide a written report at each monthly PTC meeting which shall be made available to all Sandburg families,
c. keep a ledger on a fiscal year basis that shall be examined and approved by the Executive Committee or an auditor selected by the Executive Committee, and
d. be bonded at the cost of the PTC.
COMMITTEE CHAIR AND CO-CHAIR
1. The Committee Chair shall consist of all positions other than the Executive Committee (i.e., registration, picture day, fall fundraiser, chili supper fun fair, etc.). These positions shall work in a collaborative effort with other parents in the school in order to accomplish the necessary work prior to the monthly PTC meetings. At the monthly PTC meetings, the Committee Chair or Co-Chair will brief the Executive Committee and its members and make a recommendation as to their decision.
2. If a Committee Chair or Co-Chair is negligent in the performance of the duties of the position in accordance with the mission and the bylaws of the PTC, the Executive Committee, Principal, and teacher representative, by majority vote shall declare the office vacant.
3. Vacancies in an office shall be filled by the majority vote of the Executive Committee, with such appointed position to act for the balance of the unexpired term of such office.
1. Nominations for the Executive Committee shall be solicited from Sandburg families in April before the next school year. Each position shall have at least one candidate on the ballot with a space for a write-in. These officers may succeed themselves once in the same office.
2. The election of new Executive Committee members shall be by majority vote of those members attending the final spring meeting.
1. Monthly PTC meetings shall be held on the first Thursday of each month except for December or where other school or district conflicts arise. These meetings will not be changed without prior approval of the Executive Committee and the Principal. The purpose of these meetings is to communicate the state of affairs of the PTC and school. The meetings shall be conducted with an agenda prepared prior to the meeting.
2. The meetings shall begin at 7:00 p.m. All committee chairs shall contact the secretary prior to the meeting to be on the agenda. The agenda will be made available prior to the meeting. The secretary shall take the minutes of the meetings.
3. These meetings shall not serve as an open discussion for committee work. Committee members shall brief the PTC and make recommendations for approval.
4. Special meetings may only be called by the Executive Committee with the approval of the Principal.
5. The monthly PTC meetings and Executive Committee meetings shall be open to the public.
6. All Executive Committee and monthly PTC meetings shall be governed by Robert's Rules of Order, Revised.
EXPENDITURE OF FUNDS
1. The PTC cannot approve expenditures that exceed cash on hand.
2. All disbursements over $200 require the signature of the president and the treasurer.
1. The PTC, when purchasing equipment, services or donations for Carl Sandburg Elementary School, shall provide the Principal of the school and Treasurer of Sandburg PTC a description and amount of such items. No reimbursement will be made without prior approval and receipt. The equipment or services shall remain property of Carl Sandburg School and cannot be transferred to another building or otherwise disposed of without the approval of the Principal and the Executive Committee.
1. In the event of dissolution of Sandburg PTC, all existing assets shall be turned over to Carl Sandburg Elementary School. If the school refuses such assets, distribution of the assets shall be made to another organization(s) formed for similar purposes by a majority vote of the Executive Committee.
2. In the event of dissolution, under no circumstances shall the residual assets of the PTC inure to the staff, members of the PTC, or Sandburg families.
1. The Sandburg PTC bylaws shall be revised from time to time. Notice of the revisions shall be made to Sandburg families prior to a regular monthly PTC meeting and approved by a majority of the PTC members present.
Revised August 1996
Revised May 2004