This is a very formal academic occasion. Graduates of SHS have always worn the traditional cap and gown and have followed the following:
- Shoes: Because your robes are black or red, wear dark dress shoes preferably black. Tennis shoes, flip flops, are casual sandals like Birkenstocks are inappropriate. Girls please don’t wear high heels that may cause you to trip. (Steps are steep.)
- Clothing: Men should wear dark dress or casual pants, dress shirts and ties. Women should wear either dark dresses, skirts, dress pants and blouses. Jeans, shorts and sweats are NOT appropriate. You may be pulled if you don’t wear appropriate clothing. (Borrow these items if need be.)
- Cap and Gown: Nothing is to be pinned to the gown (except the Superintendent’s Award pins) or written/taped on the caps.
- NHS Members: Should wear the gold tassel and cord.
- Military: Military students may wear their military tassels if they have one.
- Tassels: The tassel signifies the status to the wearer. Prior to receiving your diploma, the tassel should be worn on the right front edge of your cap. After the last student receives his diploma, the President of the class WILL STAND AND ALL OTHER MEMBERS OF THE CLASS WILL STAND. On cue from the President, graduates will, IN UNISON, move tassels from RIGHT front to LEFT front of the caps or mortar boards.
- Keys, purses, PHONES should be left with your families. - - Please don’t have phones out during this FORMAL ceremony for any reason.
- Make sure that you have your cap, gown, stole and tassel when you come to line up for graduation at 4:30 p.m. (Don’t come too much earlier than 4:30 due to the previous graduation.)
- Please don’t chew gum.
- Finally and most importantly, this graduation ceremony is for the WHOLE class of 2012. So if you want to show your individuality and so on please do so at your graduation party or some other time. Remember that a lot of people are coming to watch this FORMAL ceremony and we don’t want that moment spoiled for others.
- Thanks again and CONGRATULATIONS!
- See you Saturday at 4:30 p.m.!!