Board Meeting Information
Regular meetings of the Board of Education are held on the first and third Monday of each month in the Board Room of the administrative offices located at 1900 West Monroe Street. The Board meets in closed executive session beginning at 5:30 p.m. with the public session beginning at 6:30 p.m., unless otherwise publicly noticed.
All meetings of the Board are open to the public and conducted in accordance with the Open Meetings Act. The public is invited and encouraged to attend. Additionally, regular meetings are available for public viewing as follows:
- As a live stream or as a recording of past meetings through the SPSchannel22 page of Youtube. Please note public comment portions of some of the meeting recordings may be edited in accordance with YouTube content guidelines.
- As a live stream or as a recording through the Public Access TV website. Please be aware that the number of past recordings on this site is limited.
- Live on Comcast/Xfinity Channel 22
- Live on U-Verse Channel 99
Please click on the "Calendar and Videos" tab to find the current school year's Calendar of Regular Board of Education Meetings and links to videos of those meetings, as they become available.
Meeting Information During the Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation
The Board Room of 1900 W. Monroe Street will be open during Board Meetings with reduced capacity per State-mandated social distancing guidelines. Social distancing and mask guidelines shall be strictly enforced. Members of the public interested solely in viewing the meeting are encouraged to do so through the District's YouTube channel, SPSchannel22, Comcast/Xfinity Channel 22, U-Verse Channel 99, or at the Public Access TV website.
A recording of each meeting will also be posted on YouTube, as is current practice for all regular meetings of the Board. Please note that recently, YouTube removed a board meeting video due to information related to an important public health issue that they deemed was not accurate. YouTube also provided a warning for further repercussions.
Springfield Public School District 186 encourages public comment, but we also desire that the public business we conduct at Board meetings be widely available through YouTube. Therefore, we will no longer include public comment in our YouTube videos so that the public business is available to District families.
TO SPEAK DURING THE MEETING (PUBLIC PARTICIPATION)
Individuals interested in addressing the Board may do so:
- In-person in the Board Room, 1900 W. Monroe Street.
- Until further notice, by emailing comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Those interested in providing public comment by email are asked to send their comments by 4:00 p.m. on the day of the meeting. Please indicate in the subject line of any emailed comments if the comments are to be recited during the meeting. Note that the recitation of written comments will adhere to the same time limits prescribed for spoken comments from in-person or phone-in public participants.
- Until further notice, by phone. Those interested in participating via phone are asked to contact Julie Hammers by 4:00 p.m. on the day of the meeting, either by email at email@example.com or by phone at 217-525-4406, to make those arrangements. Voicemail messages left at this number will be checked through the end of the meeting.
Please note that email and voicemail messages left to register to participate will be checked through the end of the meeting, however, the meeting live stream is on a delay. As such, requests to participate via email or phone made near the end of the meeting may be received after the meeting ends. Those wishing to provide public comment via email or phone are highly encouraged to register per the instructions above prior to the meeting to ensure their comments are received prior to the end of the meeting.
Addressing the Board
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION - TAKEN FROM BOARD POLICY 270.19
The order of business of any of the regular or adjourned meetings of the Board of Education shall include an opportunity for an individual or group representative to address the Board. Citizens may address the Board on either agenda or non-agenda items related to District matters during the Public Comments portion of the Board agenda. At all other times during a board meeting, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board, unless recognized by the presiding officer.
Persons who wish to participate in this portion of the meeting must fill out a Public Participation at Board Meetings Form and submit it to the presiding officer or designee before the meeting begins.
Upon being recognized to address the Board, please come to the speaker's podium and give your name, address, affiliation and topic along with any remedy sought. Speak directly into the microphone so your statement can be recorded.
The amount of time allotted for any presentation shall not exceed three (3) minutes. Delegations of more than three persons shall appoint one person to present their views before the Board. These requirements may be waived or altered by a vote of a majority of Board members present.
The attached excerpt of the June 3, 2013 executive session has been released in order to comply with the March 24, 2013 decision of the Attorney General’s Public Access Counselor (PAC).