The SBCS staff is excited to welcome our students on August 16th for our first day of the new school year! Here are a few reminders about school procedures to help your first day run smoothly.
- Bus transportation is often challenging the first day of school. If bus forms were just turned in, your bus route may still be in the process of being created. If you have not received verbal confirmation and your bus stop is not listed, please plan to provide transportation for your student tomorrow. The phones will also be very busy in the morning, so you may have trouble getting through. We will not only be receiving calls, but making calls to First Student to help answer any questions for you. We ask for your patience.
- Busses may arrive a little early or late on the first day. Please be flexible.
- Car drop off is at the gym door at exactly 8:40 AM. Students may not be dropped off early or left unsupervised at the entrance of the school. We ask that parents pull all the way up to the greenhouse as they drop off their students to reduce traffic on Taylor Street. Car and bus riders will walk down the sidewalk to the gym door entrance where we will make sure all students have a mask. We also provide hand sanitizer as students arrive.
- Breakfast and lunch are free for all students. Packed lunches from home are allowed.
- Our water fountains have been converted to stations where students can fill their own water bottles.
- Each middle school student will receive their class schedule when they arrive to school. Staff will be available to help each student find their classroom.
- School supplies may be brought to school with students or at Back to School Night. Parents and other visitors will not be allowed in the building the first day of school.
- Parents of Primary students (kindergarten and 1st grade) are invited to park and join the classroom teachers on the field by our playground as we allow a little more time to say "see you soon" for our youngest students. You may walk directly to the playground after parking. Students will still be allowed to go through the breakfast line. Feel free to bring a picnic blanket.
- Dismissal begins at 3:25 PM. Our pick-up line has two rows. We ask that parents do not create a third row or rush around cars to get through the pick-up line faster. Safety first. All afternoon transportation changes must be called in by 3:00 PM. From 3:00 PM - 3:25 PM, our administrative staff are busy helping with dismissal. This is the best procedure for making sure all 396 students dismiss accurately. If you do call at this time, leave a voicemail message for the administrative assistants.
- Remember, all Kindergarten and sixth grade students are required to have a current physical and immunization record on file by the first day of school, with a grace period of 10 days.
- A copy of our Return to School Plan is on our website. We will continue to clean surfaces, wash hands, wear masks indoors, and take safely-distanced mask breaks to mitigate the spread of COVID in our building. Students in each class will sit and travel in number order to assist with contact tracing. Students will be able to play on the playground equipment, but they will do so in smaller groups. If your child is sick, please keep them home. Call the main office at (217) 525-3275 to report all absences. Ball Charter and District 186 will continue to use the COVID tracking system this year.
At Ball Charter, we will do our best to face any and all challenges. Our goal is to serve students and families in the best way as we prioritize a healthy and rewarding educational experience for each child.