Along with the Jefferson Middle School staff and administration, I would like to welcome everyone and give some helpful information for the 2011-2012 school year. I am hopeful you’re having a fun, safe, relaxing summer and will be ready to come back prepared on August 22. If you have any questions about the information provided, please call us at 525-3176.
Registration-New students to District #186 are to register Monday, Aug. 8 from 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. or Tuesday, August 9 from 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. If you pre-registered last year in the 5th, 6th or 7th grades you do not need to register again. This registration time is only for students that are new to the District or to Jefferson.
Orientation-Again this year our orientation program will take place which pairs sixth graders with successful eighth graders to create a sense of comfort for the incoming students. It is called Where Everyone Belongs (WEB) and will be held on Tuesday, Aug. 16th from 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. This orientation will be for incoming 6th graders and students new to Jefferson in the 7th or 8th grades. Students will receive general information about Jefferson and our expectations, daily school procedures, locker assignments and much more. Time will be allowed to practice opening lockers.
First Day of School-The first day of school for all students will be on Monday, August 22 from 8 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Students will be dismissed at 1:30 p.m. August 22 through August 26. When students come to school the first day, lists will be posted according to your 1st block teacher. Once you find your name, go to your 1st block teacher to receive your schedule. Students may enter the building at the 7:50 a.m. bell, 6th graders enter through the cafeteria doors, 7th graders enter through the main doors, and 8th graders enter through the gym lobby doors. A bell rings at 7:55 a.m. and students must be in their seats for the morning announcements. When the 8:00 a.m. bell rings they will be considered tardy if they are not in their assigned seats. Regular school dismissal is at 2:30 p.m.
First Day Student Packets-Each student will be given a packet of materials to take home the first day of school. Parents/Guardians should take an opportunity to discuss the contents with their student, complete any emergency card information and return all required signature material to school the next day. Also included in the packet is the optional student accident insurance. Students planning to participate in any athletic program must purchase the insurance or the parents/guardian must sign an athletic permit card indicating the student is covered by insurance.
Student Fees-Parents/Guardians will receive fee schedules in the mail directly from the District 186 business office. The basic fee for middle school students is $90.00. You may prepay the yearbook cost on this invoice as well.
Enhanced Dress Code-I am sure most of you are aware that Jefferson has an enhanced dress code. The following is a description of the acceptable dress code:
• Button front solid color polo style shirts in gray, white, black, yellow (any shade), or blue (any shade).
• All emblems/logos must adhere to district 186 guidelines, be to the left of the shirt, and no larger than a quarter and/or able to be covered by a thumb.
• Solid colored button down cardigans or sweatshirts may be worn in gray, black, navy, white, or yellow. * Pockets, hoods or zippers are not allowed.
• Long sleeve solid color shirts in white, gray, black, and any shade of yellow, or blue can be worn under the polo shirts.
• Undershirts must be solid colors. Writing of any kind is not allowed.
• Spirit wear not altered in any way, sold by Jefferson Middle School and representing an authorized JMS club, can be worn daily.
• Sports uniforms may not be worn in school. 6th grade volleyball and basketball t-shirts may not be worn until after the season is over. Handmade JMS shirts are not allowed.
• Long sleeve solid color shirts can be worn under the polo shirts. The long sleeve solid color shirt must be the same color as the polo shirt.
Uniform Pants: Twill-Type Material is required
• Khaki, blue or black pants, capris, or walking shorts.
• Denim, sweatpants, skinny pants/jeans, leggings, stirrups, jeggings, pajama pants, yoga pants, or any other stretch-type material are prohibited).
• Shorts must be mid-thigh in length or longer.
• Shorts and capris may be worn out of season at the family’s discretion. However, if it is an outside day, students will not be allowed to remain in the building.
• Pants must fit at the waist. Bagging, sagging, and excessively tight clothing is prohibited.
• No skirts or dresses (exception – religious objection).
Coats, jackets, purses and book bags are to be kept in lockers. They are not to be taken to the classrooms. Please refer to the Student Information Bulletin for the detailed list of the dress code.
Student Planners-In order to help students become more organized, Jefferson requests that all students carry a planner and a binder or trapper keeper.
Open House-We will be having our Open House/Meet Your Teacher Night the first day of school, August 22, 2011 from 5:30 - 700 p.m. We will start in the classrooms where you can meet your child's teachers and receive information regarding the school year. We will be serving food from 6:30 - 7:00 p.m. in the cafeteria and there will be outside activities for our families to enjoy during this time.
Classroom Supply List-This is a general list. Some classes may require additional supplies. If so, those teachers will inform their students.
• heavy-duty 3-ring binder with 3-4 inch rings
• 5 single-subject spiral notebooks (wide- or college-ruled)
1 red - Math
1 yellow - History
1 blue - English
1 green - Science
1 different color/pattern of choice - Electives
• take-home folder (heavy-duty) with 3 holes
• Planner/Agenda/Assignment Book with 3 holes
• loose leaf paper (3 reams/packages)
• ream of copy paper
• Post-it/sticky notes (approx. 3-inch square)
• pencils (24)
• blue or black pens
• colored pencils
• highlighters (2), any color
• pencil pouch with 3 holes
• pencil sharpener (hand-held)
• tissues (2 boxes)
• Scientific calculator for home
• optional: Clorox wipes
Jefferson is requiring all students to use a 3 to 4 inch binder for their classes. Students will be taught how to organize their binders in each subject area.
Again this year the District has reading as a focus. We at Jefferson are requiring students to carry a fiction or non-fiction book with them at all times. This will enable our students to take advantage of any down time throughout the day. By increasing their minutes read per day, your student will easily increase his/her reading comprehension.
Illinois Physical Exam and Immunization Requirements-Illinois Law requires that all students entering a pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, sixth, or ninth grade program, or students transferring from out-of-state, have a physical examination within one year prior to the date of entering the school. The examination involves all components given on the State of Illinois Certificate of Child Health Examination including a complete immunization record, medical history, diabetes screening and lead assessments. Students transferring from another Illinois school must present copies of their current Illinois school health records. A dental exam is a State requirement for kindergarten, second and sixth grades.
Gym Clothes-Students are required to change clothes and dress appropriately for P.E. class. Specific guidelines will be given to students during the first few days of school.
I hope you have found this information to be relevant and we all look forward to a rigorous school year where we will build new relationships and work together to achieve outstanding results. On behalf of the Jefferson Family, WELCOME BACK!