Friday, April 9, 2010
Our Instructional Focus:
At Jefferson Middle School we are...
• And discussing what we learn
NO GUM IS ALLOWED AT SCHOOL!
NO RUBBER BANDS — NO JELLY/PLASTIC BRACELETS!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ....
KRISTA S., MARKUS P., Zach H., Damarius M., Tiffany A., Kailla B., John S., Brennan Q., & Tatayna M.!
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1865, Confederate General Robert E. Lee and his 28,000 troops surrendered in Appomattax, Virginia to Union General Ulysses S. Grant. This marked the end of the Civil War.
Main Entree: Chicken Fajittas; French Fries
8th grade girls will eat first.
Monday's Breakfast: Omelets or Yogurt
• Southeast Pom Tryouts ~ Southeast Spartans Poms tryouts will be held on April 10, 2010 from 1PM to 5PM in the Southeast High School gymnasium.
• Southeast Cheerleading Tryouts ~ Tryout date is April 10th from 9AM-12PM at Southeast High School Gym. Please wear shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes. If you have questions, please contact the Athletic Office at 525-3130.
• JFL 2010 Football Sign-Up ~ Registration April 24th at Kicks on 6th Street from 11:30AM - 4PM. There is an $85 registration fee. For more information, please contact JFL Hotline at (217) 416-8533, P.O. Box 3116, or visit their website at:
• Springfield Youth Football League ~ Registration for tackle football for kindergarten through 8th grade will take place:
~ Saturday, April 17th from 9AM-1PM at Hope Church - 3000 Lenhart Road
~ Saturday, May 15th from 9AM-1PM at Bank of Springfield Building - 9th & Madison
You must pay the $85 registration fee at time of registration. Checks should be made payable to SYF. Also, bring a copy of the player's birth certificate that the league can keep. Returning players do not have to do this. Please have the player with you for sizing! For more information, contact by email at
email@example.com or check the website at http://www.springfieldyouthfootball.com
The spring dance will be held today from 2:30-4PM. Admission will be $3. Tickets will be sold during all lunch shifts today. No tickets will be sold at the dance!
SHIRTS ON FRIDAYS
Every Friday from this week until the end of the school year, 8th grade students may wear their 8th grade t-shirts. All other students may wear their JMS jaguar spirit shirts. The shirts cannot be altered in any way — no cutting and tying, no removal of sleeves, no writing added. You will still be expected to wear uniform pants.
If you wish to purchase a spirit shirt, see Ms. Stewart in room 202.
Today is an "Out of the Blue" day! During 4th block, the lucky winners will be called to the cafeteria to make their own ice cream sundaes! Keep earning those PRIDE cards by showing respect to yourself, others & property.
ANNUAL TALENT SHOW
JMS will be having our annual talent show sometime in May. Start planning and practicing so your act will be a show-stopper!
Astronomy Day is April 24th! The Sangamon Astronomical Society invites the public to view the sky through their telescopes. Come see the moon, Saturn, Mars, star clusters, double stars, how a telescope works, and the scale of the solar system.
Where: Centennial Park
When: April 24th at 7PM [weather permitting]
Bring the entire family along with your questions! If it is raining or the sky is overcast, the event will be rescheduled. Check the website at http://www.sas-sky.org
Questions? Contact Bruce Patterson at 494-2655.
BATTLE OF THE BANDS
Where: SHS Commons
When: Saturday, April 10
• Competition of local rock bands (high school & middle school divisions); $25 entry fee for each band; register at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Guitar Hero competition for the whole family
Cost: $5 per individual at door or $10 per individuals who want to participate in Guitar Hero competition (Age Categories: 5-9, 10-14, and 15 & older)
Anyone interested in learning more about this event should call Donna Davlantis at 217-306-1160 or email email@example.com
Information is also available at Rolens Brothers Music, The Rock Shop, and DaddyO's. Prizes awarded in ALL categories. Concessions will be sold at the event. All proceeds will go to SHS GAPP (German American Partnership Program).
Remember our school expectations:
Respect Yourself • Respect Others • Respect Property