Central Illinois Food Bank Spring Break Food Distribution
There will be a food distribution sponsored by the Central Illinois Food Bank on Friday, February 26, 2021 at Harvard Park Elementary School between the hours of 10AM and noon while supplies last. Pick up is on Yale Boulevard.
End of Semester 1 Checklist
End of Semester 1 Checklist
Parents and students,
As we near the end of the first semester of the 2020-2021 school year, we all have some loose ends to tieup. Here is a checklist of items that need to be completed.
End of Semester 1 Checklist
- Students need to check the Grade Book on the District Intranet for missing or incomplete assignments. Any missing or incomplete assignment should be finished and turned in by December 21st or the date specified by the teacher. If you have any questions about accessing the Intranet Grade Book, please view the 12/15/2020 JMS Daily Video Announcement. Please contact your teacher if you have questions about the individual assignment.
- Students need to complete the Remote Learning Expectations Survey if they have not done so. This survey involves answering a few questions and watching the Expectations video and can be accessed by clicking here.
- Students need to complete the SAEBRS Survey. Directions and a video explanation can be accessed by clicking here.
- Parents and students need to view and sign the JMS 2020-2021 Title I Compact. Click on this link to access the Compact.
Lastly, we are happy to announce that Jefferson Middle School is set to begin daily video announcements in Semester 2 in January. The kick-off video is posted now. JMS Daily Video Announcements can be accessed from the Parent Corner as well as from a link on the left side of the JMS Homepage.
21st Century After-School Program
Welcome to 21st Century at JMS!
The 21st Century after-school program is back starting Monday, October 19th. We will be utilizing Zoom and Google Classroom. Returning students will be receiving an application in the mail along with a return envelope. New students can pick up an application at JMS. Once your completed application is received by Mr. Squires, you will be contacted by Mr. Squires with a start date and your student will be added to the 21st Century Google Classroom.
Please contact Mr. Squires with any questions or concerns.
Sports Update from Mr. Thomas
Click here for the latest information from the IESA. [January 4, 2021]
- 6th grade Boy's Basketball has been cancelled.
- 6th grade Girl's Basketball has been cancelled.
- 6th grade Volleyball has been cancelled.
7th and 8th Grade
- 7th and 8th grade Boy's Basketball has been paused.
- 7th and 8th grade Girls's Basketball begins in March.
- 7th and 8th grade Volleyball has been paused.
6th, 7th, and 8th Grade
- 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Track and Field begins in March.
If you fail any class 1st semester, you will NOT be eligible to participate in sports.
Remote Learning: Family Support Series
We are excited to share that District 186 is offering Zoom sessions to support families right now during remote learning! The sessions are based on the 430 responses from families who took the Family Support for Remote Learning Survey!
Please consider attending one or more of these online sessions by registering from links on the flyer posted to the right.
8th Grade Moving Up Information
Dear 8th Grade Families,
At the end of the school year, we will be having a Moving Up Ceremony for our 8th grade students. This celebration may be in-person, or virtual, this will be detemined at a later date. At this ceremony, awards and promotion certificates will be handed out. This is not a graduation, but a time to celebrate the accomplishments of middle school. Our Moving Up Ceremony will be dedicated to those students who have worked hard to maintain good grades and pass ALL CORE CLASSES throughout the year, in which the status of promotion is granted.
The requirements for Promotion are as follows:
- Promottion at the middle school level is based on semester grades. A passing grade in middle school is a D or better.
- Semester grades are a cumulative average of first and second quarter grades as well as third and fourth quarter grades.
- District 186's current Board of Education Promotion Policy states that students must pass all core subjects.
If your student fulfills these requirements, you will receive a personal invitation in the mail for the ceremony. We want to make sure our families and students are informed of these requirements.
Attendance is one of the single most important factors in student success. It helps students stay current with the curriculum, improve skills and not fall behind. We appreciate your efforts of ensuring your child gets to school everyday.
If you have any questions throughout the year regarding your child's grades, please contact Mrs. Doss at (217) 585-5810.
Mrs. Karen Stapleton-Crump, Principal
Mrs. Cheryl Doss, 8th Grade Guidance Dean
From the Nurse
Reminder ~ all Incoming 6th grade students and new students to District 186 must provide the school with an updated school physical and immunization record prior to Oct 1, 2020. No student will be allow to access remote learning after October 1, 2020 and they will be excluded from school until this is received.
You may email the records to our JMS nurse at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax them to 217-585-5814, or hand deliver to JMS. Remember, there are no exceptions. We are following the IDPH State of Illinois guidelines.