Welcome to the beginning of a great school year! I’m Jessica Handy, the new PTO President. Please join us as a member of the PTO this year!
Here are some of the ways the PTO supports SHS:
• Funding much of the “Be A Senator” program, which encourages attendance and good citizenship.
• Recognizing teachers with three appreciation events during the school year and through a Teacher Grant Program to supplement classroom materials.
• Hosting events to honor SHS students, including the Honor Roll breakfast, National Honor Society induction reception, and Senior Recognition Night, as well as providing “brain food” for students on standardized testing days.
And here are some of the ways the PTO benefits parents:
• Holding monthly meetings the last Tuesday of each month, giving you the opportunity to hear directly from Mr. Grossen, learn about issues at SHS and the school district, and raise any concerns you may have.
• Sending regular emails and social media posts with meeting summaries, event calendar updates, volunteer opportunities, and links for further information on hot topics.
• Serving as the eyes, ears, and voice of parents on behalf of our children and their education, with the ability to collectively raise concerns to school administration.
A membership form is attached with details about the $15 dues and an optional donation. We encourage families to join the PTO through this mailing so that we can add you to our communications lists as the school year begins. You can mark your calendars now for our first meeting on August 26 at 7:00 pm in the SHS library and “like” our Facebook page. As always, please reach out any time with questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 415-9175.
Thank you for your consideration!
“When schools, families, and community groups work together to support learning, children tend to do better in school, stay in school longer, and like school more…”
SOURCE: “A New Wave of Evidence,” a synthesis of two decades of parent engagement research