Dear Parents and Teachers,
Welcome to Springfield High School! At the SHS Parent/Teacher Organization, we are committed to supporting a vision where families, teachers, and school administration are partners working together for the best interests of all students in the building. We hope you can join us for our first meeting of the year, Tuesday, August 30th, from 7-8 pm in the SHS Library (3rd floor). Please also visit our table outside of the Schnirring Auditorium at the SHS Open House on Wednesday, August 31st at 6 pm.
The PTO helps to support teaching and learning at SHS in a number of ways:
• We fund much of the “Be a Senator” program, which encourages attendance and good citizenship.
• We thank teachers with appreciation events, gifts, and a Teacher Grant Program to supplement classroom resources and activities.
• We host events to honor SHS students, including the Honor Roll Breakfast, the National Honor Society Induction Ceremony Reception, and the Senior Recognition Night Reception.
• We help staff the Scholastic Book Fair twice per year.
• We assist teachers with photocopying and paper and supply drives.
The PTO also benefits parents in a number of ways:
• We hold meetings on the last Tuesday of each month, which gives parents a front row seat with Principal Leardi and an opportunity to learn about issues and events at SHS and District 186 and raise any questions.
• We send regular emails and social media posts with meeting summaries, event calendar updates, volunteer opportunities, and links to further information.
• We support F.A.C.E., District 186’s Family and Community Engagement program, by sending representatives to district meetings and coordinating F.A.C.E. activities at SHS.
We hope you will join us! Everyone is welcome, whether you have plenty of free time or none at all, whether you have participated in the past or never joined before, and whether you can afford a donation or not. Though there is no obligation to volunteer for activities, please let us know if you have any specific areas of interest for helping with the PTO. Membership is only $15 per year, which supports the PTO’s activities and grants. You can pay your dues by check when you sign up, or you can pay through the district’s student fee mailing or intranet. You can also donate more, if you’d like and include your donation with your dues.
Please also “like” our Facebook page to stay updated on PTO meetings, events, and volunteer opportunities. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact one of the officers listed below.
Thanks for your consideration!
Cara Swafford: firstname.lastname@example.org
Patti Leamon: email@example.com
Jen Power: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tiffani Shekleton: email@example.com