About Project C.A.L.M.
Washington Middle School applied for and received the Impact Grant from the Springfield Public Schools Foundation in the spring of 2020. We will use the grant funding to increase social emotional supports for students and adults in our school community. We will build student and adult self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, responsible decision making, and relationship skills through mindfulness, community partners, parent involvement, professional development, explicit and integrated SEL teaching. This systematic approach will empower our school community to be more inclusive to support all stakeholders for a lifetime.
What is Mindfulness?
"Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way; on purpose, in the present moment and non-judgementally." - Jon Kabat-Zinn
Benefits of Mindfulness
- Develops patience
- Develops discipline
- Develops resilience
- Encourages self-acceptance
- Helps regulate and balance emotions and builds emotional strength
- Increases compassion and kindness
- Improves attention span, concentration and focus
- Improves self-esteem
- Increases self-awareness
- Improved sleep habits and sleep quality
- Reduced levels of anxiety and stress
- Relax the mind and body
Advisory & Mindful Activities
Zero Gravity Chairs with MP3 Platers with Calming Music
Students can spend 15 minutes in the chair listening to high frequency music to calm their minds.
Stress Balls, Sensory/Fidget Toys
Students can check them out and use them for the day as needed.
Stress Relief Coloring Pages
Students can stop by and get one as needed.
- anxiety and test prep
- coping skills and grief
- depression and negative thoughts
- diversity and inclusion
- growth mindset and mindfulness
- healthy relationships and respect
- SMART goals and self-control
- the teen brain and healthy choices
- anger management and apologizing
- self-esteem and attendance
- I message/I statements
Certified and Licensed Therapy Dog
Project C.A.L.M. T-Shirts
Project C.A.L.M. Bracelets
Quarterly Giving Back
Stress Less Night
Professional Development for Staff